After tinkering around I have found a fool proof recipe that is quick and simple. London loves helping me in the kitchen, so finding something with minimal ingredients and easy measuring and dumping is KEY.
We’ve tried a few other recipes that you have to cook and I was never able to get the timing right. This recipes uses boiling water so you don’t have to worry about over heating the mixture.
Before you get started…
- 1c All Purpose Flour
- 1tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/4c Salt
- 1tbsp Cream of Tartar
- 3/4c of Boiling Water
- Your choice liquid food coloring
- Medium Bowl for Mixing
- Large Spoon for Mixing
- Mix the first four ingredients in your mixing bowl.
- Add the liquid food coloring to you boiling water
- Add colored water in increments with you dry ingredients.
- After all the water is mixed with dry ingredients allow the dough to cool.
- Once the dough has cooled down enough to handle, you will want to knead the dough until all the stickiness is gone.
This recipe has perfect consistency and stores unbelievably well. We made one for Valentines Day back in January and it kept for 6 weeks.
The great part about play dough is that there are so many different ways to play with it. London has gotten really into adding pipe cleaners to her creations. We’ve used cookie cutters, cars, plastic figurines, but my favorite so far is finding different household items to make different textures. Slotted spoons, empty spice containers, buttons, coins, really anything with a pattern or design can be fun to stamp and play.