I have fond memories of growing up and ‘helping’ my mom hand wash the dishes. Now, this is one of London’s favorite activities as well. If I’m busy working on dinner and Marshall isn’t home yet, I fill up the sink with some bubbles and warm water and let her play to her hearts content. She usually ends up soaked with water all of the floor, but what can I say!? I’m making dinner and she’s happy playing by herself.
This Sensory Play is a fun spin on washing the dishes and BONUS it involves Ooblek! Have you guys ever played with ooblek?? What is ooblek? Cornstarch + Water! It is hard when you touch it or apply force, but turns liquid when left alone or relaxed. Anyways, our dinosaurs got stuck in the mud (ooblek) and needed to be rescued!
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 2 Plastic Containers (1 for Ooblek and 1 for Washing)
- Dish Soap
- Food Coloring
- Objects to Rescue
Here’s What You’ll Do
- Start by adding 2c of cornstarch to your plastic container.
- Measure 1 c. of water. If you would like your ooblek to be colored you will want to add your food coloring to the water prior to mixing with cornstarch
- Add water to cornstarch and mix. I used my hands to mix, but it does stick and can get messy.
- Next, you’ll want to create your washing station. Add water to your container, enough to submerge whatever object you are rescuing and a smidgen of dish soap for bubbles.
- Drop in your objects to the ooblek and let your kiddo dig in! I put our containers out back on our deck. Ooblek can be pretty messy and a little tricky to clean up so I opted for a surface I could easily hose off.
London LOVED rescuing her dinosaurs. She kept cleaning them off and then dumping them back into the ‘mud’. It’s a great sensory activity to do outside now that the weather is warming up. You could use any plastic animal or another fun idea could be plastic play food, clean off their fruits and veggies from the garden. Too Cute!!
Can’t wait to see what you all come up with! Don’t forget to Tag #playwithhouseofloo on social media so I can see what you all are up to!